The importance of self care and a balanced life
Hey there, gorgeous! It's time to talk about the importance of self-care, and why you need to make it a priority in your life. It's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of daily life and put yourself on the back burner, but taking care of yourself is essential for good health, preventing disease, and living your best life. Let's dive in!
Let’s start with a definition of what self care is, because it seems to be such a foreign concept to many of us that it’s worth making sure we’re all on the same page before proceeding.
Self-care is the practice of taking deliberate actions to maintain or improve one's physical, mental, and emotional well-being. It involves recognising and prioritising your own needs, and taking steps to address those needs in a healthy and proactive way. Self-care can take many forms, including physical activities like exercise, healthy eating, and getting enough sleep, as well as mental and emotional activities like meditation, therapy, and spending time with loved ones. The goal of self-care is to promote overall wellness, reduce stress, and enhance your ability to cope with the challenges of daily life. Sounds like something we should be all striving for, don’t you think!?!?
Putting Yourself First
Let's get one thing straight - taking care of yourself isn't selfish, it's necessary. When you prioritise your own needs, you're better equipped to take care of others and be present in your relationships. Whether it's taking a relaxing bath, going for a walk, or practicing meditation, setting aside time for yourself can do wonders for your mental health and overall well-being. So try bumping yourself up the priority list and using some of those hours we are blessed with each day to work on a healthier and happier you.
Filling Your Cup First
You've probably heard the phrase "you can't pour from an empty cup." This is especially true when it comes to self-care. When you prioritise your own needs and fill your cup first, you've got more energy to show up (and I mean really show up) for others in your life, and be present in your relationships and your experiences. This means you'll be more patient, more compassionate, and more able to handle the stresses of life daily demands. So if you’re one to put every one else’s needs ahead of your own, think about how much better you’ll be in those relationships if you’ve got a full cup of energy and tolerance yourself first.
Having Balance in Your Life
It's easy to get caught up in work, family, and other responsibilities and let self-care fall by the wayside. But without balance in your life, you risk burning out and experiencing negative consequences like anxiety, depression, and even physical illness. Taking time to recharge and do things that bring you joy is essential for maintaining good health and preventing disease. Allocating time for family, friends and work is important, I agree, but don’t forget to leave enough energy in the tank for personal development, health and well-being. It could be as simple as allowing yourself an extra 30 minutes before going to bed to do a bit of stretching, reading a book or doing a healing meditation. Keep your life balanced for the best outcomes.
How to find Life Balance
Finding balance in life is all about allocating your time and energy in a way that enables you to take care of your personal, professional, and social obligations while also making time for self-care and leisure activities. Here are some examples of how you can find balance in your life:
- Prioritise your tasks: Make a list of your tasks and prioritise them based on their importance and urgency. This will help you focus on the most critical tasks and avoid getting overwhelmed (there’s nothing worse than overwhelm imo).
- Set boundaries: Learn to say no to things that don't align with your priorities or goals. Sometimes this means saying no to people 😳….shock horror! Setting boundaries will help you avoid burnout and allow you to focus on the things that matter most to you.
- Create a routine: Establishing a routine can help you manage your time more effectively and reduce stress. Try to wake up and go to bed at the same time each day and schedule time for work, self-care, and leisure activities. If you’re a put everyone else first kind of person, you will definitely need to schedule time for you to make it happen.
- Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness is a practice that involves being fully present in the moment and observing your thoughts and feelings without judgment. This can help you reduce stress, increase self-awareness, and improve your overall well-being. They had it right when they said take the time to smell the roses. 🌹
- Exercise regularly: Exercise is an excellent way to reduce stress, improve your physical health, and boost your mood. Try to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine, whether it's going for a run, taking a yoga class, or simply going for a walk.
- Connect with others: Maintaining social connections is important for our mental health and well-being. Make time to connect with family and friends, whether it's through phone calls, video chats, or in-person visits.
- Make time for hobbies: Hobbies are an excellent way to relax and recharge. Find an activity you enjoy, whether it's painting, reading, or cooking, and make time for it regularly.
Finding balance in life can be a challenging process, but it's an essential step in maintaining good health and well-being. By prioritising your tasks, setting boundaries, establishing routines, practicing mindfulness, exercising regularly, connecting with others, and making time for hobbies, you can create a balanced and fulfilling life.
Doing This Free of Guilt
One of the biggest obstacles to self-care is guilt. You might feel like you're neglecting your responsibilities or that you “should” be doing something else instead, or you may even feel lazy for taking time for yourself. But the truth is, self-care isn't something you should feel guilty about - it's a necessary part of your health and well-being. When you take care of yourself, you're better able to show up in other areas of your life, with more energy and vitality. People who have great life balance seem to have an abundance of energy to share over each of the areas of importance in their lives.
The Importance of Self-Worth
Taking care of yourself is a way of showing yourself that you matter. When you prioritise self-care, you're sending a message to yourself that you're worth the time and effort it takes to care for your mental and physical health. This can do wonders for your self-esteem and overall sense of well-being. Whether you believe it right now or not, I am telling you “you ARE worth it!” Every single human being on this planet deserves to be happy and fulfilled in their life, and it is our mission to do whatever we can to spread this message and make it a reality for as many people as we possibly can.
Maintaining Good Health and Preventing Disease
Self-care isn't just about feeling good - it's also about maintaining good health and preventing disease. When you prioritise self-care, you're taking steps to reduce your risk of chronic illness like heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Self-care can also boost your immune system, improve your sleep, and reduce stress, all of which contribute to better health and well-being. For more information on preventative care click here to read our blog on preventative care and health awareness.
In conclusion, taking care of yourself isn't selfish - it's essential. Prioritising self-care is a way of showing yourself that you matter, and it's essential for maintaining good health, preventing disease, and living your best life. So go ahead, take that SOulSoak bath, go for a walk, lie on your acupressure mat or practice our healing meditation - you deserve it, my friend!